Cooking is no less than an art; Asian cuisines are considered to be the most classic. Indian, Thai, and Chinese dishes are loved by people all over the world. In Asia, kitchens are incomplete without a Carbon Steel wok. Woks have gained popularity since ancient times. The word wok is a Cantonese word which means a ‘cooking pot’. In China, people have been using Woks for hundreds of years. But now, woks are getting globally famous. They are also claimed to be better than all those frying pans that people use to sauté their food. With woks cooking is always even and perfect. It also preserves the taste of the food as it is made from a material that helps in controlling the transfer of the heat to food. Other than Chinese cuisine people have also started using woks for other types of foods and dishes. And guess what? Woks work perfectly fine and there is not even a single reason why you should not buy them. They are truly one of the best cookware.
Therefore, today we are going to write the consumer reports about the Best Carbon Steel Wok in 2020. The Chinese cuisine mainly depends on the use of Woks, as it involves tossing of the ingredients, the flared & tall edges of the wok keeps the ingredients from jumping out during the process of tossing. In Japan, the word ‘wok’ gets translated into ‘Chinese pot’. Woks are popular for so many reasons, if you are cooking in a wok, then you will require comparatively a less amount of oil than other pans. Woks are mostly used for stir-frying, sautéing, steaming, smoking and searing both vegetarian and non-vegetarian food materials. A wok is possibly one of the most versatile as well as a practical cooking pan that has been ever designed. Works are particularly designed to cook foods within a short period and at a higher temperature.
Traditionally, woks were made up of cast iron or carbon steel. However, nowadays, different types of Woks are available, including stainless steel and aluminum Woks. Woks often come with non-stick coating (we do not recommend non-stick woks). Choosing a perfect Carbon steel wok is quite tedious. To ease your task, we have prepared a list of some of the best carbon steel woks that are available in the market. We have also provided a buying guide, which includes some of the important points that are needed to be kept in mind while purchasing wok.
Best Buy Carbon Steel Wok Reviews
1. Craft Wok Traditional Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Wok:
Are you one of those people who are willing to enhance his/her cooking skills? Craft Wok brings you one of the most durable and efficient Carbon Steel Wok. This wok comes incorporated with an attractive wooden handle and a helper handle. The Craft Wok Hand Hammered Carbon Steel Wok (731W88) is made up of 1.8 mm gauge carbon steel, which is thick enough to cook the food that needs continuous stirring and tossing.
- The Craft Wok Carbon steel wok is specially hand hammered by the professionals in Guangzhou.
- The 1.8mm (15) gauge makes the wok sturdy and durable. It has excellent build quality.
- There is a helper handle provided by the manufacturer; it is made up of steel and does not burn even in high heat. The other handle is made up of wood, it has a unique hygroscopic surface that provides a tight grip to its users whilst stir-frying.
- As the bottom of the wok is round, it is not compatible with induction or electric stove.
- The wok has a scratch resistance construction.
- This Carbon steel wok by the Craft Wok has a 14-inch diameter, which ensures the food does not jump while tossing.
- Seasoning instructions are being provided by the manufacturers.
2. Souped Up Recipes Carbon Steel Wok- Electric, Induction & Gas Stoves:
The Carbon Steel Wok manufactured by Souped Up Recipes is exquisite. The product is crafted in such a way that makes it elegant and durable at the same time. One of the notable things about this product is that it can be used on both the gas as well as induction stoves. You can even use this wok on the electric stoves.
- The wok has a flat bottom of 12.5 diameters. It has been constructed to provide even heating of the food.
- The wok is completely made up of the carbon steel material. Carbon steel ensures a lightweight, plus, it gets heated up very fast.
- Carbon steel consists of benefits of both the stainless steel and cast iron.
- The carbon steel wok by Souped Up Recipes comes with accessories such as a metal spatula and a wooden lid. There is a wooden handle which does not heat excessively while on the stove.
- The product comes along with a video user guide; it explains its users the proper way to season and take care of their Woks.
- The Souped Up Recipes carbon steel wok comes with a wide top and a narrow bottom, which ensures less usage of the oil while cooking.
3. Joyce Chen J21-9978 Carbon Steel Wok:
The Carbon Steel Wok manufactured by Joyce Chen is one of a kind. It has a well-crafted wooden handle and a helper handle. The side handle is intended to offer easy lifting of the wok, which is needed most while cooking. Most people love having designer kitchen-wares in their kitchen. If you are one of them, then this Joyce Chen J21-9978 Carbon steel wok is perfect for you. The carbon steel provides sturdiness to the wok that enhances the performance of cooking.
- The wok has a 15 mm gauge body made up of Carbon steel.
- The diameter of the wok is 14 inches, which is preferred by professional chefs.
- The wok is multipurpose and can be used on the induction as well as electric stovetops.
- Unlike most of the woks, Joyce Chen J21-9978 Carbon Steel Wok can be cleaned easily in a few steps and does not even turn black.
- The Joyce Chen J21-9978 Carbon Steel Wok is a product worth buying. The trendy construction of the wok attracts the buyers towards it.
4. Helen Chen’s Asian Kitchen Carbon Steel Wok:
Helen’s Asian Kitchen is a traditional manufacturing brand for woks. The Carbon Steel Wok manufactured by this brand has an excellent build quality. It has a 14-inch diameter, which turns the wok into an efficient product. Furthermore, Helen’s Asian Kitchen Carbon Steel wok comes with an eye-catching lid. The cookbook is provided to help the users to make various delicious dishes. Additionally, a spatula made up of bamboo is being provided with this Helen’s Asian Kitchen Wok.
- The product is created using carbon steel that has a thickness of 1.6mm. The products manufactured by Helen’s Asian Kitchen are reliable and lasts for a longer period comparatively.
- This wok is perfect for braising, steaming, stewing, sautéing and stir-frying of vegan and non-vegan food products.
- Additionally, the Bamboo handle has a heat-resisting property which offers allows the users to carry the wok without getting burned.
- Helen’s Asian Kitchen Carbon Steel Wok is specially designed for modern Kitchens.
- The carbon steel used in this product offers an even distribution of the heat into the wok. Plus, it offers a non-sticking n of cooking to the users.
- The Carbon Steel of this wok can be recycled while the bamboo handle is sustainable. Therefore, we can call it an environmentally friendly product.
- Helen’s Asian Kitchen offers a lifetime manufacturing defect warranty.
- Last but not least, users can prevent the Carbon Steel rusting by seasoning it regularly.
5. Joyce Chen J22-0060 Flat Bottom Wok, Standard, and Metal:
In the world of woks, Joyce Chen is a well-known brand. Joyce Chen J22-0060 is another distinctive wok provided by Joyce Chen. It has a diameter of 14 inches. The wok has a flat bottom and hence can be used on electric as well as gas stoves. Since the product is made up of 2.00mm carbon steel gauge, it is highly durable and can be used for several years without the problem of getting damaged.
- The Joyce Chen J22-0060 Carbon Steel wok comes with an ergonomic Phenolic handle which is known to stay cool during the process of cooking. The handle stays comfortable in the hands of users.
- An additional helper hand is provided to stabilize and simplify the carrying of the wok.
- The loop that is present on the main handle (designed especially for the purpose of hanging the Wok) requires a regular seasoning. Plus, the process of cleaning the wok is quite easy and simple.
- The wok comes along with a protective layer that should be removed before using it for the first time. One can easily find the process of removal in the product description.
- The product comes with proper seasoning and caring instructions. All the instructions are needed to be followed to maintain the good conditions of the wok.
6. Authentic Hand Hammered Wok:
If you searching for a hand-hammered wok, then this Wok manufactured by Mammafong is perfect for you. A traditionally designed 14 inches Carbon Steel Wok, What else is required by a professional chef? The Mamafong Carbon Steel Wok is designed to stand up and last on commercial kitchens. Each one of these works is specially crafted with care and passion in the Guangdong of China. Therefore, it is not inappropriate to consider it as a 100% authentically hammered product.
- The Mammafong Carbon Steel Wok has a heavy gauge body with a premium quality Carbon Steel. The heat distribution capability of this wok can never be questioned.
- To provide an intense smoky and crunchy stir-fry, proper heat distribution is needed all over the surface of the wok.
- The wok does not allow the users to consume a large amount of oil as it is naturally non-stick. But, unlike other non-stick pans, this wok is completely healthy.
- The Carbon Steel that is used in this Mammafong Wok does not have toxic nature and hence can be purchased without giving any second thoughts.
- This Wok is intended to provide fat-free and healthy meals to the customers.
- One of the remarkable features of Mammafong Carbon Steel Wok is that its performance improves with every usage.
7. Lodge P14W3 Pro-Logic Cast Iron Wok:
The Lodge P14W3 Pro-logic Cast Iron Wok markets one of the best-unseasoned carbon steel woks. The wok has a traditional manufacturing design, it has 11.86 lbs. Weight and is created using 100% cast iron. Unlike most of the Woks, this Lodge P14W3 Pro-logic Wok has been distinctively designed to retain a higher amount of heat. Moreover, the wok has a flattened bottom which is perfect to sit on all cooking surfaces from gas stoves to the induction stoves.
- The Lodge Cast Iron Wok is seasoned using a 100% vegetable oil. An excellent seasoning makes a big difference in the taste of the cooked food.
- This Wok is free from all sorts of chemicals and synthetic coatings. The more this Wok is used, the better the seasoning becomes.
- The Lodge Woks are specifically designed in the South Pittsburgh, USA. The brand has a good reputation of 120 years. Lodge Woks are popular for the excellent quality of the cast iron.
- The wok offers the durability of a lifetime and has a versatile characteristic.
- The product often comes with an instruction manual to ease the work of its users.
8. Town Food Service 14 Inch Steel Peking Style Wok:
The Town food service is not one of those newly developed brands that are present in the market. The wok is constructed using strong carbon steel that can resist any warping at a higher temperature.
- The Wok comes along with cold-forged steel which adds extra strength to the wok.
- The handle is very strong and can be carried easily.
- The Town Food Service Wok has an extra deep shape that allows the chef to fold the meals during the cooking procedure easily.
- The construction of the wok is durable and lasts for a longer period.
9. 14 Inches Carbon Steel Flat Bottom Wok:
If you are looking for a Carbon Steel Wok that not only offers an excellent tossing of the meals but also adds a smoky flavour, then you should give a chance to the Carbon Steel Flat bottomed Wok that is particularly manufactured by M.V. Trading. It is one of the most reliable and long-lasting works that are available in the market. The handles provided with the wok can be easily lifted without any discomfort. A person can even gift this wok to someone who is setting up a new home.
- The wok has a flat bottom which is specifically designed to sit on the surfaces of grills as well as electric stoves.
- The wok comprised of two small handles (made up of metal) and placed opposite to each other. The dual handles offer a full command of the work.
- The wok is constructed using unseasoned carbon steel. It can rapidly heat and cool down.
10. KEN HOM Carbon Steel Wok:
Unlike most of the carbon steel woks that are listed above, this carbon steel wok has a high-quality ergonomic construction. The wok has such a flat bottom that enhances the heat distribution capacity of the product.
- The wok is compatible with induction stoves. Upon seasoning, the wok creates a non-stick coating.
- The wok is made up of a heavy 1.8mm gauge carbon steel that offers an optimum heat transfer.
- Its handle is made up of wood that reduces heat transfer.
- The brand offers a remarkable 10-year warranty to the customers, which makes it a reliable and trustworthy product.
How to choose Best Carbon Steel Wok
Buying a top-quality product is not easy at all; one should be aware of all the important factors. A buying guide provides information about all those essential factors that are needed to be kept in mind whilst buying any product. The following factors will help you in choosing the right Carbon steel wok for your kitchen. Let us discuss each one of these factors briefly –
Consider the Shape: There are different shapes of Carbon steel woks available in the market. Two basic shapes are round-bottomed and flat-bottomed. The round-bottomed woks can be used on a gas stove-top, while, the flat-bottomed woks can be used on the induction/electric stoves.
Consider the Size and Height: It is very important to choose a wok with correct depth. If the work is too deep, then more amount of heat will be present at the bottom, the transfer of heat will not be efficient and the cooking will be uneven. An ideal carbon steel wok has a height of 4 to 5 inches and a diameter of 14 inches.
Consider the Handle: Wok handles may be of different types and sizes, some handles are made up of metals that are insulated with wood, silicone or Teflon. Some carbon steel woks consist of straight, long handles, while others consist of small loop handles that is present at opposite sides of the wok.
Consider the Price: When we talk about price, we are not suggesting you buy extremely cheap carbon steel wok. A low priced wok may attract the buyers but its quality is not very high. They turn black after several uses and even the handles come off. On the other hand, one should also not buy a wok that does not fit the budget. Highly-priced wok doesn’t need to be a good product. However, if a product comes from a well-reputed brand, the high price is considerable.
Consider the Warranty and return policy: A carbon steel wok that comes with a return policy has to be an excellent investment. You can easily return the product if you do not like it. According to experts purchasing a product with a warranty and return policy is much better than purchasing without it.
Consider the Heat distribution capacity: When it comes to cook-wares, heat distribution is an important factor. The more even is the distribution of the heat, the more efficiently the food gets cooked. However, practical usage of the wok before the purchase is not possible, but one can always get to know the heat distribution capacity by checking the reviews provided by the existing users.
Consider the Wok lid: The choice of purchasing a wok that comes in combination with a lid is completely personal. Some people prefer buying woks with wok lids, while others just utilize other utensil lids to fulfill the purpose of a lid. However, we would suggest people choose a wok that comes along with a lid, in-built lids accurately fit on the woks and are helpful during steaming or boiling.
Carbon Steel Wok Frequently Asked Questions
- Why choose carbon steel wok?
One of the best materials used in the making of the wok is carbon steel. Many people use the woks made of carbon steel as they are the best conductors of heat. You will be able to cook faster when the heat conduction is good. For cooking methods like stir-frying, this kind of woks can be the best choice as you can stir at high speed. The best thing about the carbon steel wok is, it does not release any harmful chemicals when it is heated and hence very safe for cooking.
- Can I use a wok in a microwave oven?
It depends on the brand that you are buying. Not all the woks available in the market are safe to use in a microwave. Some of them are due to the long handles; they do not make them in such a way that they suitable for the oven. But some manufacturers make them in such a way that they can be used in the microwave, but remember that you should first remove the wooden handle of the microwave before placing it inside the oven.
- Should I go for stainless steel wok or carbon steel?
When you look at the options available in the market, you will be able to find that the woks are made of many different kinds of materials. But the most common materials are carbon steel and stainless steel. But it is good to go for carbon steel as it is a safe and good conductor of heat as well. You will not have any kind of issues with carbon steel, and they will also last for a very long time.
- Can I use a frying pan instead of a wok?
If you are already using frying pans for frying, then it is not at all a problem. But you will be able to enjoy more benefits with a carbon steel wok when compared to the frying pan, in terms of both health and cooking. You need not have to use a lot of oil for carbon steel wok and also to toss food while stir-frying is easy with a wok. You will not be able to toss well with a frying pan.
- Can I use a metal spatula while frying in a carbon steel wok?
It is not at all safe to use the metal spatula for frying in the carbon steel wok. It is good if you can find silicone or wooden spatula. They are easily available in the market.
- How to season the wok for the first time?
It is always good to season the wok before you start using it. There are many different methods of doing it. But the simple method is with the help of salt. Yes, place the wok on the stovetop and pour one cup of oil into it. Now you should fill the wok with salt and keep stirring it. You will have to do it for 20 minutes and then remove the salt. You should let the wok to cool down. You should now wipe the wok with the help of a cloth dipped in oil. Once it is done, now spread a thin layer of oil to the wok, and it is ready to use.
The Woks that are made up of carbon steel are by far the most famous. Such Woks are exclusively used in Chinese cafes and restaurants. A wok comes either with a single handle or with dual metal handles. Carbon steel woks are preferred by almost everyone. Carbon steel woks are fairly inexpensive and durable. They are much lighter as compared to the other Woks. Moreover, the Carbon steel woks season nicely with the passing time and eventually forms a non-stick surface. Maintaining a non-stick characteristic is not easy, a lot of time, patience and continued care are required to create that shiny patina on the inner surface of the wok. If you are deciding to purchase a carbon steel wok, then you might be aware of the fact that the market is flooded with numerous brands and models. Our article may help you select the best suitable Carbon Steel Wok for your kitchen. The buying guide is intended to inform the new buyers about things that are essential to consider before making a purchase. We hope you select an efficient Carbon Steel wok and explore your cooking skills in the best possible way.
You will enjoy read about: Best Cupcake Carriers in 2020